By: Nathan Willow
Among the many edible root crops, the most versatile by far is the carrot. Unbeknownst to many, it comes in a variety of colors such as purple, red, white and yellow. The most common, of course, is the orange variety. A lot of cake recipes include the carrot because it is incredibly easy and fun not just to cook and bake, but also to savor and digest. Not to mention the nutritional value of carrots, this carrot cake recipe is exceptional. The truly amazing thing, though, is that the beta carotene in carrot is further increased when cooked or baked rather than when eaten raw! Carrots are usually used in bread, juices, puddings, soup, jams; it is also a staple ingredient to stir fried vegetables, most stews and a wide array of food, including the following healthy carrot cake recipe. Treat yourself to this veritable treasure trove of health.
– Whole wheat flour – 3/4 cup
– Cake flour – 3/4 cup
– Packed brown sugar – 1/2 cup
– Cinnamon powder – 1 tablespoon
– Baking powder – 1 teaspoon
– Baking soda – 1 teaspoon
– Salt – 1/2 teaspoon
– Molasses – 1 1/2 tablespoons (optional)
– Canola oil – 1/4 cup
– Eggs – 2
– Medium-sized orange, juiced – 1 piece
– Orange zest – 1 tablespoon
– Lemon zest – 1 teaspoon
– Raisins – 1/2 cup
– Dried figs, chopped – 5 pieces
– Sesame seeds – 2 tablespoons
– Grated carrots – 2 cups
– Chopped cashew nuts – 1/4 cup
– Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F or 175 degrees C.
– Grease spray a 9-inch Bundt pan.
– In a large mixing bowl, sift together the whole wheat flour, cake flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
– Dig a hole in the center of the dry ingredients and pour in the molasses (if you will), canola oil, eggs and orange juice.
– Mix until the dry ingredients are thoroughly blended then stir in the orange zest, lemon zest, raisins, dried figs, sesame seeds, carrots and cashew nuts until all are incorporated.
– Pour into the greased baking pan.
– Bake for approximately 1 hour or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Another indication that the cake is done if the cake springs back once it is lightly touched.
– Remove from the oven and allow to cool for a few minutes.
– Remove from the baking pan using a spatula to ease around the edges of the cake.
– Gently transfer to a wire rack to cool completely before slicing.
Anukriti Parsai uses traditional recipes handed down from generation to generation.
Anukriti’s Healthy carrot cake recipe is deliciously indulgent and is definitely not for weight watchers!
Anukriti is a contributing member of the Cake Recipe Secrets team.